Dear Parents and Students,
I am very excited to work with you this year. It is my pleasure to be your teacher and I am looking forward to the fun and challenges that a new school year brings. Robotics is a growing and exciting field of science that offers many career opportunities for students in the future. This class will be fun and challenging and it is my hope that we can all work together to ensure the success of our students.
Students will expand on what they learned in Lego Mindstorms Programming with more advanced programming blocks by creating a robot for the FIRST LEGO League Competition. Students will also use 3D modeling software such as TinkerCad and SketchUp to design and create models to print out on our Airwolf AXIOM 3D printers. Students will also participate in e-Nable program. The e-NABLE Community is an amazing group of individuals from all over the world who are using their 3D printers to create free 3D printed hands and arms for those in need of an upper limb assistive device. Students will also have an opportunity to create city/industrial/product designs and possibly working alongside professionals in the fields from city planners to engineers to designers.
Please contact me via JupiterGrades if you have any questions.
Pencils, pens, paper (graph is acceptable) , chromebook and a good attitude
A phone with the ability to take photos and Video at high and low qualities
All assignments are to be turned in on time. Missing assignments may result in RISE. Late assignments will result in partial credit, minus 10% each day late. Assignments that are 5+ days past due date will not be accepted. The grade is based on satisfactory completion of robot tasks, data logging, classwork, homework, quizzes, competitions and tests.
- 5% - Homework - Research
- 70% - Missions - Competition Robot
- 5% - Participation - Class Dojo
- 10% - Research Project - 1 per trimester
- 10% - Projects - Posters, 3D Printing
Students are to be seated in the classroom before the tardy bell rings. Classroom time is very valuable and being tardy disrupts learning for all. The tardy policy is as follows: 1 tardy=warning, 2 tardies=parent contact, 3 tardies= detention, 4 tardies = referral to office
- Always do your BEST.
- RESPECT yourself, your teachers, other students, classroom equipment, and the learning process.
- When the speaker is talking, you are listening.
- Be seated in the classroom before the tardy bell rings.
- Students will follow team roles
- Getting materials - Legos, Laptops
- Saving files
- Preparing 3D printers
- Bring all necessary materials to class.
- No food in class. You may bring water only.
Positive Classroom Dojo Points
Competing in the First Lego League
Time off the Project
Removal from class - Robotics is in high demand and many students had to be turned away. If you can not follow the rules.
School Year Breakdown:
- Trimester 1:
- Learning Advanced Programming
- Team Building
- Robot Construction for First Lego League Competition (FLL)
- FLL Competition Presentation Project
- FLL Robot/Presentation Competition Qualifying and knockout rounds
- Trimester 2:
- FLL Regional, Semi-Finals, and Finals of Competitions
- Learning 3D Modeling programs (Sketchup and TinkerCad)
- 3D printing
- Trimester 3: (Students will choose an area of concentration)
- Continue working on FLL Competitions
- Product Design
- City/School Redesign
- Sumo Competition - Back to School Night
We are actively competing team and would encourage the students if their group is chosen for a competition either located at St. Paul’s Lutheran School in Orange California or at Legoland in Carlsbad to go. This is a great opportunity and will be great to place on a college application. These competitions are on weekends and students would need transportation to get to the competition, carpooling is encouraged.
I have read the Syllabus for Mr. Sousa’s Advanced Robotics course and understand what is expected and understand that syllabus is a tentative document and can be changed throughout the year.
Student Name Printed as shown on the roll sheet Student Alternate Name if any
Guardian Name Printed Guardian Signature Date